Videos, brochures, files to download
The trees of Simonyi Street
Péterfia Street continues as Simonyi Street which was named after Colonel József Simonyi, the most gallant Hungarian hussar. He studied at the Piarist school in Debrecen and at the age of 15 he joined the army.
The Old City Hall and the Hungarian Revolution of 1848-49
Debrecen and, consequently the City Hall, played an important role in the Revolution and War of Independence of 1848-49.
“The Church with a Truncated Tower"
On the odd-numbered side of Piac Street, the Reformed Small Church is surrounded by Révész Square where, until the 18th century there had been a wooden venue for religious services simply called the “shed” and then later the “small church” since the big church was the St. Andrew’s Church.
Miklós Street and the ”Moses of the Hungarians”
The street opening from Piac Street got its name from the one-time Saint Nicholas chapel (‘Miklós’ in Hungarian) which was built for the Greek Orthodox community who settled in Debrecen in the 15th century. At the end of the street there is a commemorative plaque indicating the site of the Miklós Street gate, one of the gates which used to mark the borders of the city.
The “Mud Bridge”
From the 1600s up until the 1900s transportation on Piac Street, the city’s main street was secured by a 650-meter-long wooden bridge.
The Lycium (Boxthorn) Tree
The Lycium tree (Lycium halimifolium) standing on the corner of Fűvészkert and Múzeum Streets is of historical importance since it is a 200-year-old botanical rarity.
The Galley-slaves’ Monument
The Galley-slaves’ Monument has been standing in the Memorial Garden since 1895 in memory of the Protestant pastors and teachers condemned to the galleys in 1673.
Gate of keys
The Gate of keys was founded on the model of Wall of the Lock in Pécs by Ferenc Dalnoky. They say the lovers who put on their lock and key to the gate they will be together forever and ever. Adress: 26. St. Batthyány, Debrecen 4024 ...
Sándor Petőfi and the St. Ann Parsonage
The classicist-style building of the Roman Catholic Parsonage was created by linking two former houses in the 19th century.
Stage-coach Station and Hostelry and Charles XII. King of Sweden
The stage-coach station and hostelry built in 1690 at 6 Széchenyi Street is the oldest building of the city. For a while it used to be the house of the chief justice and the post office also functioned here for a longer period.