Logo

accessible
page

Hagyományos verzió

Search this site

V4 TOURISM

Accommodation

Gastronomy

Events

Gallery

Miklós Street and the ”Moses of the Hungarians”

The street opening from Piac Street got its name from the one-time Saint Nicholas chapel (‘Miklós’ in Hungarian) which was built for the Greek Orthodox community who settled in Debrecen in the 15th century. At the end of the street there is a commemorative plaque indicating the site of the Miklós Street gate, one of the gates which used to mark the borders of the city.

On 7 January, 1849 when the revolutionary government arrived in Debrecen, Lajos Kossuth Governor-President of Hungary entered the city through this gate. At 1:00 p.m. the gate-keeper wrote the following in his register book: “Kossuth, Moses of the Hungarians.”

  Back Back   Top Top   Print Print   To route planner To route planner

Hotel packages